Who Love me?

What's time now?

Thursday, July 21, 2011

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN "practiCE" and "practiSE"


-Do not confuse "practice" with "practise". They sound the same and even look similar (except that one is spelled with a “c” and the other with a “s”) but their meanings are different. The word "practice" is a noun, it refers to an act itself, not who is doing it. On the other hand, practise is a verb meaning 'do something repeatedly to improve one skill'. It is a systematic training by multiple repetitions (rehearsing a behavior or engaging in an activity several times repeatedly) in order to improve or mastering that skill. To put this much simply, practise is a verb (doing word) and practice a noun (thing).
- It should be noted that in American English, both the noun and the verb are spelled "practice". Both forms are however used in the British English whereas the distinction is almost obsolete in the U.S. As a matter of fact, in other English speaking countries (Australia, Canada, UK, Ireland, and South Africa), "practice" is the noun and "practise" the verb. It is therefore important to make sure that use the right version for the right audience.

Here are some examples below using the word "practice" (a noun) and "practise" (a verb):

Examples using the word “practice” (noun)

1)If you want to speak French well, you need to practice.
2)I'm afraid I'm rather out of practice.
3)It is their practice to give annual raises.
4)A hard theory to put into practice.
5)I can't see how your plan is going to work in practice.
6)The practice of the law.
7)Practice makes perfect.
8)My singing practice has been a little lax, lately.

Examples using the word “practise” (verb)

1)The new government has promised all citizens the right to practise their religion.
2)Why don't you practise what you preach?
3)I'm quite good at tennis but I need to practise my serve.
4)She practises the violin every day.
5)She practised medicine for twenty years before she became a writer.
6)I practise the piano.
7)I need to practise my English.


No comments:

Post a Comment